Please note: This role has been filled - thanks to the 190 people who applied. Please check the careers page for currently active open roles if you are interested in joining the mod.io team.
mod.io is a fast-growing, early-stage startup backed by a leading gaming venture capital firm, working to bring user-generated content (UGC) to games and their players. The mod.io platform supports over 100,000 daily active users, and we are seeking a Frontend Software Engineer to help us build the industries best interface for exploring and installing UGC, that will be embedded in some of the largest games in the world.
The popularity of in-game content is exploding, it’s in more games and on more platforms than ever before. Despite that the end-user experience generally sucks, because game engines are built for playing, not scrolling content like a web browser. We aim to change that, by building a highly modular light-weight web app, that can be customized and embedded into games of all shapes and sizes.
So if you enjoy solving for an interface that will be used by thousands of concurrent players, to share incredible creations from the community, then mod.io is the place for you.
You will lead the creation of a standalone web app that consumes the mod.io REST API:
- Create a responsive, lively, smooth-as-butter frontend UI. We currently use Vue.js, but open to React and other frameworks if you have deep knowledge and experience.
- Work alongside our core API and video game engine developers, to build a web app that is compatible with their needs.
- Coordinate with our gaming partners, to design and adjust your web app to fit their games, launchers and homepage.
- Test and implement your design on PC, consoles and mobile - a responsive and adaptable UI is a requirement.
- Consume our REST API, to ensure content remains synced and design a system that games can hook into for updates.
- Scalability and security is a must, your web app will be used by thousands of concurrent players all around the world.
- Keep your house clean, your code will be open sourced on Github and must be well documented for our community to fork and adapt as they need.
You’ll be joining a team co-founded by engineers, who value great code:
- Taken a concept from design to responsive functional, usable release.
- Confident in your ability to lead the project from start to finish with little oversight from senior team members.
- Excitement to dig in and experiment, with real attention to detail.
It would be awesome if you also have:
- A passion for video games and an understanding of the unique challenges UGC presents us and similar businesses like Youtube and Steam.
- Design skills, and familiarity with Photoshop, Figma, Sketch or similar apps.
- Backend experience.
- Competitive salary plus equity.
- Flexible working hours and family-friendly considerations.
- Sit-stand desks, 27” monitor, ergonomic chairs.
- Thursday lunch and Friday afternoon social events.
- Experience new games, digital and tabletop.
- Attend international gaming conferences.
- Contributing to open-source on Github.
- Pet friendly office.
- Located in Melbourne, Australia. World’s most liveable city seven years in a row.
This is a full time role in Melbourne, Australia. You must be able to work in Australia to apply for this job, relocation assistance is available for the perfect applicant. If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your CV.